Is wooden flooring practical for Indian homes? What should one consider before installing wood flooring in his or her house? Is this type of flooring easy to maintain? Get the answers to your questions in this post.
Wooden flooring has become a popular option for home owners in India. And why shouldn’t it? It makes any room look good and adds a certain amount of elegance and warmth to it, that not many other flooring options are able to. However, you can’t choose your flooring solely based on how it looks! There are a lot of factors to consider, and so, we’ve put together a complete guide to help you make an informed decision.
BONUS! Pinterest Home Decor Trends 2019: Decoded for Indian Homes!
Here’s what this post will help you learn:
- What are the most popular wood flooring types in India?
- How much does wood flooring cost?
- What are the pros and cons of wooden flooring in India?
- What type of wood is suitable for which area of your home?
3 Most Popular Types of Wooden Flooring in India
Before we look at the characteristics of different types of wooden flooring, let’s learn what the most popular styles in India are.
This solid timber flooring is made of real wood from top to bottom–wood that has been harvested from a variety of trees like oak, walnut, pine, .
Durability: It is extremely durable and will last for years, if well-maintained. It can be refinished several times over its lifetime. While most hardwood comes pre-finished, ie with a top protective layer, it should be kept away from moisture.
2. Engineered wood
Engineered wood flooring is a veneer of real wood glued to several layers of other wood, like plywood, underneath. This gives this wood excellent stability over time.
Durability: It is quite durable, which is why it is a good choice for any area of your home. It also holds up better to moisture than hardwood does.
3. Laminate wood
Floating wood or laminate wooden floor tiles are composed of a synthetic material that stimulates the appearance of wood, which is then laminated.
Durability: While it’s fairly durable, the biggest advantage of laminate wood flooring is that it is very simple to install.
Tip: Although hardwood is a great choice, the more cost-effective and smarter alternative these days is laminate. It comes in various wood floor designs and is resistant to mold and bacteria.
How Much Does Wooden Flooring Cost?
Price: Rs. 650-Rs. 5,000 per square foot
Ease of installation: Labour-intensive as solid hardwoods are nailed or stapled down.
Is it suitable for you: Solid hardwood is value for money. It is suitable for those who have long-time use in mind, yet do not mind installing different types of flooring in different parts of the house, as per need.
2. Engineered wood
Price: Rs. 200-Rs. 900 per square foot
Ease of installation: It includes a wider range of installation methods like staple or nail, click and fit, or glue.
Is it suitable for you: Engineered wood doesn’t have the longevity that solid wood flooring has. Thus, it is for those who want the look of wood but who are practical about wanting it for a certain period of time.
3. Laminate wood
Price: Rs. 120-Rs. 1,200 per square foot
Ease of installation: Very simple to install.
Is it suitable for you: Laminate wooden flooring is ideal for those who want the finish of solid wood but are on a limited budget.
BONUS! 9 Popular Flooring Ideas Suitable for Indian Homes
Pros and Cons of Wooden Flooring
To know whether wood flooring is suitable for you or not, it is vital to look at its pros and cons, and then make an informed decision. We’ve compiled these for you below.
Advantages of Wooden Flooring
1. Durable: Wooden flooring is extremely durable and with the right kind of care, it can last a lifetime.
2. High Resale Value: Apart from adding a rich and luxe look to your home, wooden flooring will also increase the value of your home if you ever plan to sell it.
3. Great Appearance: The beauty of wooden flooring lies in its simplicity and it makes your entire room look beautiful, to say the least. It adds a lot of warmth to a space.
4. Versatile: Your options to decorate a space with wooden flooring increase as almost all home décor accents complement wood flooring beautifully.
Disadvantages of Wooden Flooring
1. Scratches Easily: Wooden flooring is susceptible to scratches from high-heeled shoes, children’s toys, pets etc.
2. Regular Cleaning: Ideally, wooden flooring must be polished once a year and vacuumed every 4-5 days. Regular maintenance is required to prevent termite attack.
3. Expensive: Hardwood flooring is costlier than other flooring materials. While laminate wood flooring cost is much lesser than hard wood flooring price, and so a better option, it is still expensive.
4. Low Moisture-Resistance: Don’t install wooden flooring in a house that has high moisture or in areas like the bathroom. Moisture can make wood swell or get infested with mildew. While mopping wooden floors with a wet cloth is okay if done carefully, ensure that no water drips onto the surface.
Real Home Owner Experience:
“I read that wooden flooring shouldn’t be kept wet. So, I asked my maid to wring the cloth properly before mopping the floor. But since it’s impossible to keep a check on this daily, my month-old wooden floor is already starting to look old. I would need to get it polished multiple times a year to maintain the shine!”
What Type of Wood is Suitable for Which Area of Your Home?
Solid Hardwood: Ideal for living areas, bedrooms, hallways and dining rooms. While it’s wise to avoid solid wood flooring in kitchens, you can consider installing it if waterproof mats are placed near the sink or dishwasher.
Teak Wood: Unusually functional in wet areas as it keeps fungus and moisture at bay, owing to its inherent oils. Other than teak, most wood species used directly in the shower would result in a waste of money.
Laminate or Engineered Wood: Both can be installed in all the same areas that solid hardwood can. Again, it is best to avoid any kind of organic material in the kitchen, but it can be made to work with proper precautions. Laminate wood can also be installed in the basement as long as the area doesn’t suffer from any moisture problems.
Also Read : 7 Stunning Patterned Flooring for Indian Homes
What’s the verdict?
Wooden flooring was once considered expensive and an item of luxury. But many in India are increasingly opting for this type of flooring because it just looks so good! Plus, it’s so easy to decorate around. All your Pinterest home decor dreams can come true with this flooring in place. So, as long as you’re okay with the slightly higher maintenance it involves, go ahead and pick up that catalogue on wooden floors! IT’S TIME TO RENOVATE! 🙂
Have you been thinking of getting a wooden floor? Or do you already have one in your house? Share your experiences in the comments!
For more flooring guides and home decor inspiration, visit Urban Company Homes. Follow us on Instagram & Facebook for daily updates.